Thursday, February 24, 2011

Menu for the rest of the week (in need of food ideas!)

We are back from a week and a half in Indiana! It was a great time, but we are glad to be back in our "semi-home"(meaning we live with my folks right now as we prepare to go overseas so its not really our home here either!). We were sick on the way over to Indy (Liv threw up twice in the car on the way to the airport!) and the girls caught a second round of yuck halfway through the trip. We enjoyed our visit though and it was great to re-connect with family and the church there.

So...back to this time zone and our (somewhat) normal life here. Here's what we'll be eating the rest of the week:

Tonight: Homemade whole wheat/oat pizza, green beans, carrots

Friday: Penne with marked down Jenni-O sausage/fried cabbage (hubby's request)
Side note: totally scored with mark-downs at Albies today. I had a $10 catalina from the Con-Agra promo from before I left to use today and I got 4 packs of good bacon, 1package of Kielbasa Sausage, 2 packages of nitrite free beef hotdogs and 1 package lunch meat ham, 4 cans of veggies/tomatoes all for $0.42 after catalina! Yay for markdowns!

Saturday: Lasagne, french bread, salad. Game Night w/ the fam!

Sunday: Taco Soup


The part I need help on is sugar free desserts (especially ones that don't use expensive sugar substitutes!) I am going to be white sugar/white flour free for the rest of the pregnancy but I still need need me some treats!

4 comments:

The Keevy Family said...

Rachel, wow....score at Albertsons! Glad for you!

On the ideas for sugar free desserts, I am sorry that I can't think of anything past fruit. I wish you were close by so that I could give you a bag of frozen peaches that I have from last summer, a great treat! Maybe you could make baked apples with just cinnamon and a bit of butter and top with oatmeal, kind of like a crisp?

How much longer do you have now? I remember last year at this time how I felt, seemed like I was running back and forth to and from the doctor a lot that was 40 minutes away. It's a busy time for you too I am sure!

Jane

Rachel said...

If you have access to a blender, you can make smoothies. Chocolate, peanut butter, banana is a favorite of mine. I just use a little milk, a couple of really sweet ripe bananas (freeze them first for a creamier texture to the smoothie), a tablespoon or so of unsweetened cocoa powder and peanut butter and some ice. Such a treat and pretty healthy too.

Also, as long as peanut butter is okay for you, I love this option (it does use honey, but no sugar or artificial sweeteners). It can also be made with some other kind of nut butter...good protein! http://www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-honey-oat-peanut-butter-bars-192982

Robert said...

Try making apple turnovers for yourself using soft taco shells I put brown sugar and cin. and butter in them YUM!!! could add honey if you like.

Handcuffed Heart said...

Check out the blog Simply Sugar And Glue Free. Her food rocks!