Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Menu Planning in my parents kitchen and other randomosities

Cute pictures are soon to come!

We took a bunch on the beach before leaving (with my parents) to come to their house. The girls and I will be here until the end of June at least while Daniel works on our house. The plan was to relax and let my family take care of us but my mom found out she's planning food/flowers for a church funeral this weekend. So...for now I am helping with food planning/cooking and a few other household chores which is okay. My mom wanted me to use up what's in her pantry and not to stockpile too many "deals". I have such a hard time shopping that way now! But I did it. First I made a list of meals that used primarily stuff they already had and supplemented it with a few deals that were really cheap. Here are the meals we came up with for the next week or so:

Steak, instant mashed potatoes, green beans

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Steak (for dad), fettucini alfredo (jarred) with shrimp, garlic bread, salad

Homemade Mac N Cheese with Ham bits in it, peas

Beef Enchiladas and some sort of veg on side

Baked Spagetti (meal from church friend), cooked carrots, bread

Beefy Noodle Soup, cornbread

Chili (canned with added beans and ground beef), cornbread, carrot sticks/dip

Tuna Melts, carrot sticks

Snacks: carrots, granola bars, yogurt, cereal

Breakfast: Cold Cereal, Carrot Pineapple Muffins with cream cheese filling (made these this morning-very good and lots of nutrition in these little guys)

I won't mention that the super healthy snack I am eating right now happens to be frozen cooked chicken nuggets:) I know-not so great.

My mom did take the girls and I out to a very healthy lunch today though-a place in Wentachee called Cellar Cafe. We had a huge Romaine Salad with strawberries, almonds, parm and asparagus (like the one I told you I wouldn't like Karen;)! and it was pretty good. We also had a smoked salmon wrap and bbq pork and bean soup and they were really good. I generally don't like fruit in my salads but the whole meal was yummy and very healthy. We needed it to balance out the McDonald's we ate on the way over on the ferries:)

2 comments:

Glory said...

I'm glad you liked the Romaine Salad with strawberries. I think my recipe is from allrecipies.com. It IS good. You make me laugh.

D said...

Hey girl, let's get together while you are here! And while Darcy is still home!! I'll email you!
denaye