Sunday, January 8, 2012

Menu Plan (and my trip to the Saturday market)

We are trying to only grocery shop once a week (very tricky with a family of five and no wheels except a bicycle!) and because Daniel is a rockstar he has really taken over that task. He is the master of packing a bike or a stroller chock-full of groceries and getting them home in record time. That's why I can't complain when he occasionally buys something that isn't quite right (zucchinis instead of cucumbers for example) since not only does he have to figure out what it is in French, but he almost never gets something that isn't on the list. He's not the guy who brings home a bunch of junk when I send him out with a list. He's pretty awesome:) Anywhoooo...so yesterday we did our weekly shopping and I thought we might try it a little different to be able to fit in a trip to the Saturday market too. I volunteered to bring the two littlest with me to the market and he went with Marianna to LIDL. It worked out pretty great and I was super excited that I was able to ask for the raw milk pictured below totally in French*all*by*myself:) Woot! Also got the equivalent of about 13 lbs of apples (mostly good for cooking/applesauce) for 4 Euros ($5-$6), so pumpkin-like squash (for my crustless, made w/honey pie and Louis food), and some pears. Yum yum!

We had a super busy Saturday so I am thankful that our Sunday has been fairly restful. We went to a new church today but I don't think we'll be going back. It wasn't what we were hoping for doctrinally so we're kind of struggling with what to do. The options for churches here are VERY limited, but we don't feel like we should just stay home and do church ourselves at this point.

On a different note: raw milk is SO good and I am going to have to exercise much self control to keep myself from drinking all of it! Still doing the no-sugar, no caffeine and no grains (well almost...we had two get-togethers yesterday-one at our house and a friends' bday where some grains may have snuck into my mouth accidentally;).

Here's our menu plan for the week:
Sunday: Lentil meatloaf, roasted red potatoes, green beans (very suprised that the girls and Louis ate their lentil loaf w/no problems)
Monday: Chicken in the crockpot, fresh bread, carrots and zucchini
Tuesday: Spagetti (mine with zucchini noodles...didn't have this last week)
Wednesday: Chicken stir-fry over rice
Thursday: Soup of some kind (or maybe white chicken chili!), fresh bread (we'll be traveling to get our visa made official today so the crockpot is a lifesaver!)
Friday: Hamburgers, fries (our new friday tradition to replace the pizza)
Saturday: Open...clean out the fridge maybe?

No comments: