Thursday, May 29, 2008

Battle of the...Muffin? (part 4)

Linked by the always funny Mrs. Fussypants, is Karla, the coolest muffin-fighta in town. If you want to laugh and see my partner in fighting the post-baby flab, visit her here.

So I guess I better weigh in on my fight with the flab (on the frugal) now, huh? I think I failed to mention my worst enemy with the battle of the bulge somehow. Portion control is my arch-enemy in this fight. For some reason I have this notion that I need to eat ginormous portions of pretty much every meal to feel satisfied. I could exercise like a maniac, or I could eat a few spoonfuls less each meal...which would be easier? Hmmm, no contest. But eating a dainty little portion instead of bucketfulls o'food is always harder than I think it will be:)

Since this is supposed to be a post with something helpful in it, here are some things that work for me in controlling my propensity to bucketfull all-you-can-eat style noshing. First I like to satisfy my urge for large portions by eating a largish salad or a bunch of veggie sticks before the main meal. Then, I try to use a smaller plate at the main meal whenever possible. And since it is sometimes all about how my tummy feels with regards to volume, I will drink lots of water with a slice of lemon or lime in in. It keeps me hydrated, my tummy feeling full, and doesn't get boring as quickly as plain water. I also love me some icecream. Probably my #1 vice. I have gotten a couple Ben & Jerry's single serving icecreams over the past month (w/a coupon of course!) and that was perfect because I could eat the whole thing myself with reckless abandon, but it was still minimally damaging in my quest to fight the "mommy muffin".

Want to see more Battling the Bulge posts? Find them here, here and here.

No comments: