Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Turkey Tetrazinni

Now that I've finally figured out how to spell tetrazinni, I can share this recipe! We had this for the first time when I the wonderful ladies at our church brought meals to us after the birth of my lovely daughter, M.E. I had never even heard of this recipe, but I loved it! It can be made with turkey or chicken, but could be a great way to use up an abundance of post-thanksgiving turkey. It is also a very inexpensive meal, since the main ingredient is spagetti, which can be found 2/$1 at times. We have substituted whole wheat spagetti in this recipe with great results, although it ups the cost a bit. Enjoy!

The original recipe (or one of the many I used to find a way to make it the way I liked) can be found here. Enjoy!

Turkey Tetrazinni

Ingredients:
1 package uncooked spaghetti (we used whole wheat penn and it was great!)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cup milk
1 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese (I omit most of this because of cost. But if you have it...use it!)
3-4 cups chopped turkey or chicken
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13X9 baking dish/pan. Cook pasta until al dente (just barley done). Drain and put in the baking dish/pan. Meanwhile, melt butter and cook garlic in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Mix in broth and the milk and stir well, waiting for it to come to a boil. Stir in the parm. cheese and take off heat. Mix broth/milk mixture with cooked turkey and noodles. Top with remaining cheese (I used a little romano and cheddar and it was good). Bake 40 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until sauce is thickened and heated through (bubbly). Watch for the top layer of noodles if you don't use spaghetti because they will get dried out quickly. Makes 6-8 servings. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Tami said...

We should totally hang out! We're moving in on the 17th of June, and I actually have my lovely (read: ghetto) little Geo Metro that can get me to you. So far it's not breaking down :) If you can get to me, that's awesome- we could meet somewhere in the middle, too, like downtown or down south of Seatown or whatever. Just let me know what is best for you! When are you hitting the road for AZ?

Also- your recipe sounds super yummy and I think I'll make it for dinner next week :)

Sweet Woodruff said...

Comfort food! This is one of my grandma's best meals.

Howya doin?