Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Almost Free Pizza and Homemade Tortilla Issues

We were able to get the (almost) free pizza from Papa John's after all! Daniel will be picking it up after work and it cost $3.24 for the two toppings and tax, but I think that's still a great deal!





I made homemade tortillas again yesterday and while they tasted fine, they were SO hard to roll out and really dry after letting them rest for an hour like the recipe said. Not sure what I did wrong! I've used other recipes before, but haven't found one that is awesome. Instead of enchiladas for our guest (daniel's hungry guy friend from work) like I planned (which was not on our menu plan because our guest wasn't planned then either:) I made an enchilada casserole. If you've never tried enchiladas or tacos layered instead of baked the regular way, try it! I add more "creamy" ingredients than the regular recipe calls for, but can disguise ugly misshapen tortillas and such! I layered:



Mashed Beans (cooked and frozen previously)

Turkey, Beans (different variety), Onions and Cheddar

Enchilada sauce

Sour Cream

Tortillas

More cheese on top



And baked for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. You really can do this with a huge variety of ingredients. So easy and so very good! I have also used salsa mixed with cream soup or white sauce for the "creamy" or wet part of the layers.

3 comments:

Sweet Woodruff said...

Try doing a google search on homemade tortillas and see if there are good tips. Being from Texas, I always thought I would try and make some. Let me know what the trick is. You always inspire me.

I want to thank you for your CVS inspiration. We've been having so much fun and saving a ton of money since we started. Last week, Allyson went to get some stuff we needed. Our total was around $40.00 and we only paid 56 cents for it with our coupons and extra bucks. Yea!

I wanted to tell you too about the orange peel, I know you're tight with your money like us. That trick will smell just as yummy with cinnamon sticks and orange peel (You don't even have to dry them out really). That's much cheaper than buying all those other spices.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for you and your sweet self.

Shalee P said...

I am from New Mexico and these are an easy shortcut tortillas that come out great!

1 cup flour
1 cup Bisquick® baking mix
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all of the above, forming a pliable dough. Knead for 10 minutes.
On floured surface, roll out small balls of dough to desired thickness.
Brown each in a cast iron fry pan or on griddle.

Veggie said...

I haven't had much luck with homemade tortillas either.