Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Un-Sticking Labels from Jars and Baby Soup


I love homemade gifts and I love to make them. Unfortunately my talent and craftiness levels are quite low. But jar mix gifts I can do. The decorating of the the jars is still a work in progress, but that's coming along. The only problem is that jar mixes cease to be economical if you have to buy containers to put them in.

For a few months I have been saving jars from pasta sauce etc. but now I have jars with gooey labels on them...none too pretty for gift-giving. After much googling I have found a few tips that get some stubborn label goo off jars.

1. Soak overnight in HOT soapy water. I think this one is best to do right off the bat. Washing the jars and getting part of the label off and then trying this offers less stellar results.

2. Peanut butter and a scrubby pad (like steel wool or the like). and SCRUB!!

3. Hair dryer and a knife. But word to the wise...these are both weapons in the wrong hands:)

4. Goo Gone (from D!)

These work for me! Did I forget some?

Oh and since you are all looking for my recipe for baby soup, here she...um it, is:





5 comments:

D said...

Do you have any good jar soup mix recipes, besides the normal bean soup? I've been trying to find some without much luck.

And Goo-Gone is invaluable for these kind of things... A bottle lasts for a very long time!
:-) denaye

Angie Niezgocki said...

Thank you for the tip. Could you please send me a jar of that beautiful baby soup??

Rachael said...

Hi denaye! thanks for the tip! I like to go to Heart4Home.(net??) I think it is...and they have lots to choose from. I did a chocolate chip muffin and cinnamon pancake recipe yesterday, but only one batch. I hope they turn out...I need to try them soon before I do more gifts:)

Hi Angie: My soup is a secret recipe, I am afraid priceless:) Thanks for stopping by!

Lorie said...

I love goo be gone! Love it! It works for so many great things!

Totallyscrappy said...

What a precious pot of soup!