Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Super Power Muffins

From Karyn, who left this recipe on Money Saving Mom.

These are almost like an energy bar in a muffin. Not light and fluffy, but very moist and filling. All 3 (almost 4!) of us loved them.

Super Power Muffins

1 cup brown sugar (I don’t pack it!)
¼ to ½ cup peanut butter
1 banana
*optional ½ cup of apple sauce or carrot puree
1 egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
*optional ¼ cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients well and set aside. Blend everything else and then sift in dry ingredients. (I just mixed it all in the same bowl!)Spray muffin tray. Bake for 15-18 min. Makes 12 - double for 24.

These are so good! I made them yesterday with the added applesauce, less chocolate chips, used apple juice in the place of some of the brown sugar and added shredded carrot (1 large) and 1/2 cup of raisin bran to the batter. We've almost eaten all of the 15 muffins it made in 24 hours!

5 comments:

Frugal Passions said...

Those sound tasty! I bet those are the ones I forgot to try while we were there, huh? :(

Unknown said...

Oh, these sound so good! I make muffins at least once a week for packed lunches and snacks. They are so great to have in the freezer too. I liked how you did this post. It makes it easy for me to copy it and paste it into a word document to print. I'll let you know how I like them after I make them!
Thanks!
Jane
Alltogetherbeautiful.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

These look great!

Best,
Sarah

Sweet Woodruff said...

those look good. I'm sending this recipe to my cousin who has picky children. She can sneak some carrots in a yummy food for them.

How are you doing?

Jennifer said...

This recipe looks great. I have been looking for a way to add peanut butter muffins.