Friday, April 10, 2009

Tips for free/cheap Easter Ham



Around this time of year ham gets cheap. Stores often carry ham for less than $1/lb, but often a limited amount. I would pay that for a ham, but there are some ways to be on the lookout for an even better deal (or if you're lucky-free ham!)

Image from Hatfield Meats

First, if the store is out of the sale ham, don't just get a raincheck (although those are great too) but ask if there is some other cut of ham you could sub for the same price! That's what happened to me yesterday. I got a ham that was a better cut on sale for $1.49/lb, but they gave it to me for the cheaper cut price: $0.97/lb!

Next lookout for deals like the one going on at Albertson's, where you buy $25 of certain products and you get $10 worth of free meat. The participating products in this particular deal where things I would buy anyway at the right price (plus they matched up with a number of coupons!) so I actually spent about $15 on those products and got the ham and some marked down sausage for free!

Finally, see if there are any rebates available that would make the deal sweeter. This wasn't the case for me, but often name brand hams will have a rebate deal advertised in the meat section. Keep your eyes peeled!

For more frugal tips, visit life as a mom!

1 comment:

Niki Jolene said...

Great tips...thanks for sharing!

:)