Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Super Easy Whole Wheat Rolls

Although I don't know exactly why whole wheat pastry flour is different from regular whole wheat flour, I do know that it is great for baking! I love to subsitute it in breads, rolls and muffins to make the recipe less dense. Its a way to keep the health benefits of whole wheat, but keep some of the lightness of the white flour. If you know more about pastry flour, I would love to hear about it! I buy it at a nearby grocery store that has some bulk bins, but I am sure there are cheaper ways to obtain it. Here is a recipe that turns out great when some whole wheat pastry flour is used.

The Easiest Whole Wheat Rolls EVER
(adapted from this recipe)

Ingredients:
4 TBS butter, margarine or shortening
6 TBS sugar
2 cups hot water
2 packages dry yeast or 4 ½ tsps yeast
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. salt
5 cups flour (I use a combo of whole wheat and whole wheat pastry flour)

Grease 9X13 casserole pan or something similar.
In large bowl, mix butter, sugar and hot water. Let cool until lukewarm, and mix the yeast in until dissolved. Mix in the egg, salt, and flours. Allow to rise in same bowl (covered with towel) until doubled in size.
Divide the dough into small (tennis ball sized) balls. Allow to rise again until doubled in size (in a warm spot helps).
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Bake for 10 minutes or until baked through.

For more kitchen tips visit here.

5 comments:

Dianna said...

Whole wheat pastry flour is usually made from soft white wheat. Soft wheat has a lower gluten content, and white wheat is lighter in color and flavor.

I use it all the time, too, for everything! It subs so well for white flour, I just switch it straight over.

I need to make rolls this week and I'm excited to try your recipe!

CC said...

I need to make rolls this week too! Thanks for the recipe!

ADMIN said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely try it out this weekend. I can't wait, hot rolls are my weakness!

the momma said...

quick question ~ is the 1 c. H20 correct? it seems like not nearly enough for 5 c. flour.

these do sound easy and delicious!

thanks ~ Tracy

Rachael said...

the momma: You are so right! I am editing the recipe now. So sorry about that everyone! Along with some changes, I doubled the regular recipe because even for a family of two (real food eaters;) the regular recipe only came up with about a half a pan of rolls. Again I apologize everyone!