Friday, March 5, 2010

Lots of creative cooking (bean cookies) and time to myself

Back in our home country of the Puget Sound, Daniel and I shared our little Honda. I took him to work once a week for ladies' Bible study and some grocery/drugstore shopping. I think between that and a 2 hour shopping trip either alone or with just one little on on Saturday I was very content to stay home most of the time. Here, its a little different. We rent a car on the weekend, but the nearest stores are a decent ways away (and we pay for gas + mileage so it needs to be very planned). So during the week and on Saturdays I stay home. Cabin fever might get to me a little bit more while here I think;). Anyway, Daniel suggested (okay strongly encouraged) me to take the littles to the MK station for childcare this morning so I could get some time to myself. There wasn't room for Liv, so M went by herself. You've never seen a happier little clam going to "school"! She's a social one you better believe it:)

While Liv is napping and M is at "school" I thought I would post this fun recipe.

Thanks to my lovely mother-in-law for the recipe and the already pureed beans!



Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Daily Bean by Suzanne Caciola White

1-15.5 oz can great northern beans, drained and rinsed

2 Tbs water

1 Tbs plus 2 tsp vanilla, divided

1 ¾ cups flour

¾ tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp baking powder

2 sticks butter (I used one stick and then 1/2 cup oil/applesauce mixture)

1 ½ cups brown sugar

2 large eggs

3 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats

6 oz bag chocolate chips (1 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place beans, water, and 1 Tbs vanilla into food processor and process until smooth. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and blend until creamy. Mix in the bean mixture. Add butter and bean mix to the flour and stir until well mixed. Add the oatmeal and chocolate chips. Drop the dough by heaping Tbs onto a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 6-9 minutes or until light golden brown.

This makes a huge batch! And they are very filling with all that fiber/protein so you might not eat as many as you would with other cookies;)



1 comment:

Our Journey with Gods Blessings said...

Yummy Yummy! Luv your blog, thank you from a very busy mommy!