Monday, March 15, 2010

Loves me some (NC) grocery bargains

If you're curious, here's what we'll be eating this week with all this food!

Every once in awhile I get a wild "hare" (hair?) and decide that I want to be an organic raw-eating vegan. It usually only lasts for about 30 minutes. There are some gorgeous blogs out there that feature raw vegan food! Doesn't take long to realize its not really practical for our family right now--but yum! And think how healthy we might be;) Anyway, back to reality. Even though its nowhere close to raw or vegan, I was happy with what we were able to get with our grocery dollar this week:


HT and FL:
Whole Milk
Ground lean turkey-about 4lbs
1 lb lentils
1 lb pinto beans
bananas
cabbage
asaparagus
10lbs potatoes
onions
2 lbs carrots
5lbs oranges
2 Hunts tomato sauce
4 big packages egg noodles
Knudsen cranberry juice (100%)
Smucker's natural peanut butter (we go through this like water!)
1 dozen eggs (my toddler loves eggs!)
2 packages steamfresh frozen veg
2 packs Nescafe instant coffee
Salsa
Franks hot sauce
Tabasco sauce (we like it hot!)
Deli-fresh sliced ham lunch meat ($0.50 each after coupons!)
large jar mayo (these two are to go with all the almost-free pepperide farm bread we get here-whoo!)
2 rolls reynolds foil (on clearance at FL, $0.87 after $1 coupons!)
Fresh Extend bags (sale $1 pluse found $0.20 peelie!)
baking powder
yeast packets (for homemade pizza night)
oikos and activia yogurt
dark chocolate chex mix (gotta have some fun right?!)
Total about $47 so very close to my goal of $45;)

Can I just say that I am astonished at how much my 2 year old is eating right now? If her breakfasts of 3 whole wheat french toasts plus a banana are any indication she's about to grow another 6 inches by next week! She gets hungry every hour and a half too! Then there's my 9 1/2 month old who eats pretty much a mini-version of what we do now plus she's still nursing! She has a slice of bread, a 1/3 of a banana (for example) in addition to nursing every morning. No wonder I have to buy so much food!

I also went to CVS and Walgreens for free toothpaste, cheap hair dye, cheap glad candles (love candles!), $0.50 mens deoderant, free bandaids, marked down diapers ($2.29!!!, cheap flour $1.50, $0.29 paper towels (after CVS coupon) and also got a pumpkin pie on clearance for $1.39 to put in the freezer for dessert "emergencies":)

Any deals I missed this week? What did you buy?

1 comment:

mom2priceboys said...

I've noticed how much daily little shopping we've been doing especially since we got the new car - and car payment (gasp). I definetely need to take a closer look into this. It is usually about $5 or under though to go with what we already have to prepare. Also I've noticed since daylights savings time dinner isn't thought of until (again another great gasp-LOL) 6 pm.