Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Spinach casserole

On our dinner menu tonight....from one of my favorite recipe websites (allrecipes.com) is Spinach casserole. The coolest thing about allrecipes.com and why I frequent it for recipes several nights a week is that you can do an ingredient search and look up recipes that have what you need to use up!

Tonight I had some leftover tomato sauce and LOTS of spinach after getting a huge bag at COSTCO this past weekend, so Spinach casserole is what I came up with.

The other fav recipe site is Tammy'srecipes.com. Tammy, the site's owner, writes the instructions for each recipe and reviews it (with her own pics) and typically only does recipes that are family friendly (not too "out there") and fairly inexpensive. I have tried dozens of recipes from her site, such as Italian Cheese Bread, our favorite. She also writes about homemaking topics sich as cloth diapering and pregancy tips, which I love to read about.

Just tried the Spinach casserole mentioned about, and its...only so-so. I think since the recipe called for frozen spinach and I used fresh, I should've made adjustments to the recipe to compensate somehow. Win some, lose some. Oh well.

On other topics, today I read some more articles about VBACS. Since I had PIH or pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy, labor was induced and at 5 cm fetal heartbeat deceleration was detected and the dr. ordered a c-section. We had gone through part of the Bradley Method class and had a birth plan with many natural childbirth elements in it. Besides laboring for 10 hours (after my water broke after 2 days of Pitocin/Cervadil treatments) with no pain meds, we pretty much had to throw the Birth Plan out the window. We did hire the most wonderful doula in the world, Michelle Hill and that was a highlight. She is a sweet Christian doula would was such a support to both Hubby and I during the whole process. My C-section went smoothly, but I was very disappointed that I had to have it. Thankfully, baby was healthy and I recovered well. Breastfeeding has gone well despite my having taken just about every medication in the hospital while there! I would love to hear about any info on successful VBACS. We are planning on having our children fairly close together so I am already planning for our next pregancy (baby is 3 months old today).

3 comments:

sara said...

I just stumbled on your blog and somehow came across your VBAC post. I had my first son in October 2005 via c-section (heart breaking when I had a natural birth plan, a doula, I was going to breast feed, cloth diaper, the whole 9...) who ended up staying in the NICU for 2 weeks and then coming home on oxygen. 1 1/2 later, I had a successful VBAC and I can't even begin to tell you the joy is has brought me. *sigh* Do you mind if I email you? I am SO passionate about this.

Rachael said...

Hi Sara, do you have an email I can reach you at? Our email account has our full name (we are looking at creating a public one soon) so I wouldn't mind sharing it with you more privately. If not, I will comment again when we've created our email...I would love to talk more with you!!!

TNMomof5 said...

I came across your blog while doing some reading about frugal living. I've been reading the whole thing!! As far as VBACS go, I had two c-sections and then 3 vbacs (my last two children were born at home). I'd love to talk with you more about it. Just be sure to let me know who you are in the SUBJECT line so I don't delete the email accidentally!!

Cindy
TNMomof5@aol.com