Friday, March 20, 2009

Roadie to Spokane Part 2

Roadie Pics Part 1 where I talk a little bit about how we save money when taking a short road trip. Last year I shared how we stayed at a hotel for two weeks without breaking the bank!

First off, instructions for an easy, tasty very cheap road food:

Calzones or Pizza Pockets

There are a couple of ways to do this, depending on what ingredients you have access to inexpensively and how healthy (or not!) you care to make these.

Since we still had a few Pillsbury Grands left from the huge sale (got them for pennies each) I used these for a not so healthy pizza pocket. I rolled each half flat, and put a 1/3 -1/2 cup of a mixture of lunchmeat (or pepperoni works), mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce inside. Bake for about 10 minutes at 375 or until golden. I got the recipe idea from a Taco Melt Recipe here, which also sounds like a great filling.

Or you can use any simple pizza dough recipe, like this easy one found here, and fill it with toppings your family loves such as cheese (ricotta, mozzarella, cheddar, etc.; veggies, white or red sauce, meat, etc. ) Roll small balls of dough into ovals and put the mixture on half the oval. Fold the other half of dough over the top and pinch to close. Watch these closely because they cook quickly (and get overdone quickly!). Bake 8-12 minutes at 425 degrees.




Here are some pictures from our last stop with friends on our roadie to Spokane this past weekend. Our friends Mike and Heidi along with their sweet daughter have been in the same missions boat as us-except about 3 times as long. Meaning they have been planning, hoping and dreaming of going overseas to do mission work for years, yet God has delayed their plans numerous times for various reasons. Their attitude and willingness to learn from the additional time here has been so encouraging to us!

M and Mike and Heidi's friend's daughter...petting a pretend kitty

3 mommas with our one-year-old girlies (from left to right-Rachel who is the mom of 3, Rachael(me!) mom of one plus one on the way, Heidi, mom of one (birthday girl!)

M, working hard on making a pretend kitchen

Mike with friend's daughter and the birthday girl at their house

Just Heidi and I and our cute girls

Mike and Heidi's beautiful daughter...first birthday today!


Frugal Fridays are hosted at Life as a Mom now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachael :) My name's Meg and I've been lurking on your blog for a few weeks. I can't remember exactly where I found your blog, but it was somewhere in the large frugal mom community as I've been learning to work the deals at CVS, Walgreens, and Tom Thumb. I decided to add you to my blogroll because I saw that you're a missionary-in-training, and then I discovered that you're with Wycliffe! I'm currently in Dallas with my husband, and we're with a smaller organization that's also based on SIL's campus here.
Your comment today about your friends being in the same boat made me curious. It sounds like y'all have been on the way to the mission field for a while, although I haven't looked at your older posts to see how long. I just had to delurk to tell you that we're there, too, and it can get quite frustrating/overwhelming at times. I'm still learning to trust the Lord's timing when I feel like we should've been overseas years ago and different things keep delaying us. In fact, one reason I haven't been posting on my own blog lately is because I've gone through a time of discouragement in this area, and when I'm discouraged, I just don't like sharing with the whole world. ;)
Anyway, I just wanted to "introduce myself" and say I understand. And if you're headed to Dallas for training, we might still be here when you come, and I'd love to introduce myself in real life. :) (I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have!)

Meg