Wednesday, February 18, 2009

27 Week Pregnancy Update and Sinus Tip

A sinus infection/pain relief tip that works for me when you can't take medicine (like during pregnancy or you just don't have access to meds!) is to utilize a homemade steam tent and to tap your sinus area.

After an almost sleepless night I found those two tricks that offered enough relief to get some sleep. First is the steam bath. Boil water on the stove and remove from heat. Hang your head over the steamy water and cover your head with a towel. Breath deeply for several minutes. The congestion will ease up quite a bit if you are lucky! I did this every couple hours when my sinues were at their worst. I also have TMJ disorder so the pain was compounded--this was a lifesaver. I did this in combination with tapping my sinus area rapidly for 2 minutes at a time (first the temples, then over and under eye area and the sides of your nose). The combo of these two worked for me! I've heard that irrigating the sinus area with 8 oz of water and a tsp. or baking soda/salt works well too.

Picture from Planning Family
Baby girl is at week 27 now! I'm heading into the dreaded third trimester now. Its hard to believe that in 3 or so months I will be holding my new baby! She's about 15 inches long now and over 2 pounds. Lungs can function now and the eyelids start opening at this point. She is kicking all the time!

My midwife apt. yesterday went well. So far, I have just loved the level of care you get from a midwife (even one that's part of an HMO) vs. an OB. She is so reassuring and helpful--and is super encouraging about my prospects of a successful VBAC. I am actually looking forward to this labor, whereas I was scared to death last time (unfortunately with good reason, but I didn't know that at the time:). HB was 150, and I am measuring right at 27 cm, which is the right size for 27 weeks. My blood pressure is still within normal range 120/70 and I've experienced no signs of PIH yet...praise God! Unfortunately it can sneak up at any time, so its just a waiting game to see at this point. My glucose test (to look for gest. diabetes) results come back today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to try a Neti Pot if the steam is not super effective.

Good luck in your third trimester!

ElizabethClare said...

Glad to hear your baby is doing well. I so want another little one, but with some health problems I'm having right now that will have to wait. Pregnancy and birth are so amazing! It is wonderful being a woman!

Blessings your way,

Anonymous said...

I agree about the neti pot. medicine free, all natural and provides HOURS of relief. I think it works better and lasts longer than steam.

It looks difficult, but my 13 year old son did it correctly on the first try. It's his first preference when his allergies plague him.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I recommend the neti pot too. I haven't used it myself yet, but I have family members that have, and they love it!