Friday, February 20, 2009

Left-overs Soup in the crockpot


Its so nice to have a hot meal waiting for you after a day of shopping/work. Last weekend we went out with my birthday gift certificate to Red Robin, but I knew we'd need a meal when we got home. With a tiny bit of planning I had everything I needed to make a soup in the crockpot in about 10 minutes right before we left.

Chicken and Rice Soup

1 cup chicken (cooked/deboned from a whole chicken meal earlier in the week)
1 cup broccoli, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup leftover crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup dried lentils
6 cups broth (I used veggie broth because that's what I had!)
several tsps. spices to taste (pepper, salt, parsley, garlic powder)

Sautee onions and carrots in a TBS of oil or in a non-stick pan. Put everything in crockpot on low for high for 4-6 hours


At last minute I added several cups pre-cooked brown rice. We served this by itself because we were stuffed from our lunch out! It was very good with a little shredded cheddar on top.

Visit Frugal Friday for more ways to stretch your $$$$$!

No comments: