Monday, June 9, 2008

Egg recipes: Frugal Upstate is Egging it Up Too!

As I worked on my weekly menu plan this week (and I am little weird in that I shop the sales and try to work the best deals and then I make the menus!) I struggled to think of recipes that use lots of eggs. In my menu plan for this week I talked about why I need so many egg recipes: 6 dozen eggs at $0.50 a dozen sit in my fridge! Jenn at Frugal Upstate was apparently on the same wavelength because she is looking for frugal recipes that use eggs! Here is one that I don't use super often because my husband is so-so about it, but I really enjoy it. It comes from Tammy's Recipes: Italian Scrambled Eggs. Basically you scramble several eggs with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, a little mayo or sour cream and pepperoni. Yummy!

Another favorite that we do for breakfast has many names, but I commonly see it referred to as a puffy pancake or german pancake. This recipe calls for 6 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/4 cup butter. Melt butter in pan in oven at 350. Mix everything else in bowl and dump over melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes (or until puffy and golden). Top with fruit, syrup, or powdered sugar. Another yum!

5 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Thanks for playing along! I haven't ever tried the German Pancake-I may have to soon.

Mercedes said...

My husband loves german pancake. It's yummy!

Sonshine said...

You are not weird about how you menu plan cause I do the same thing! LOL I wish I could find eggs that cheap around here! :)

Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Here is a coffee cake that I make that uses will use 1/2 dozen eggs!! We love it here along with a cup of tea or hot chocolate. :)

Lynn said...

I love german pancakes but have not made them in a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

I climbed up on this rock said...

Fifty cents a dozen...those were the days