Monday, June 30, 2008

Morning Routine: I Need One!

Like I mentioned to Daniel yesterday, I really need to establish a morning routine. Not having one often means that I get sidetracked by less important things and the most important things (spending time in praying/in the Word, contacting people, keeping the piles under control!) get left behind to be "fit in" somewhere or don't get done at all! Makes sense to have a plan---"fail to plan or plan to fail", right?

Since my girlie decided to take a 2 1/2 hour nap this morning this is a good time to sit down and sketch out a rough plan for future mornings. Here is what I've come up with so far (and sorta did this morning!)

5:00-6:30am Nurse Baby M (I don't nurse this whole time, but she wakes up somewhere in here...I am debating whether to try and get her up the same time every morning...would love input here!)
After feeding baby, I usually go back to sleep for awhile, especially if she wakes up before 6:00am
7:00am: fix lunch for Daniel, start dinner prep
7:20am Daniel leaves for Work-spend time in Word/prayer
The verse I am focusing on today is from Joshua 24. "But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!"
7:30am-8:30 Baby usually wakes up-brush her teeth, change diaper. Baby M plays in safe area while I take a quick shower and get dressed/ready for the day.
8:30am-9:30am Tackle some homemaking chore such as hanging out laundry, sweeping, or baking bread.
9:30am-11:00am Baby's nap time (catch up on blogging, emails, paper organization, mail,eat lunch etc.) here.
After this I would like to incorporate a long walk (before it gets too hot outside) into our routine. We have been doing this at various times, but earlier would be better).

I would love to know how you handle nap/sleep schedules for 9ish month old babies...it seems like just when a pattern emerges things get thrown off for whatever reason!

Visit Making your Home a Haven for more thoughts on morning routines and homemaking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After having 4 & 3 gr. kids keep the schedule as best as you can. Kids thrive on routine. There will always be things to throw it off but being at home you have the advantage.
Just figure out when she needs a nap & stick w/it the best you can.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I get into a flow teething or some other flip flop in the routine happens. But I try to puch it anyway. I just let my little one wake up and eat when ready. But that is me!

cathy said...

before kids, my husband and i woke at 7am. when our daughter was born, if she woke up before 7am then i would keep the room dark and sit or walk. at 7am i would pick her up, talk to her for 2 minutes and change her diaper. after several months she naturally woke up at 7am. she is now 9 year old and wakes at 7am and we don't use an alarm clock.

MJ said...

I'm not one for forcing the morning wake time. With DS (now 3), it just meant he was crabby. DD just won't have it (if I wake her too early, she screams until I feed her, at which point she falls asleep again).

As for naps, does your little one take a good afternoon nap too? If so, expect that morning nap to shorten over the next few months (most kids are done with it between 12-18 months). But you're right - anything and everything can and does throw off their sleep schedule! My sister always says "Parenting is all about adjusting."