Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Multi-grain Buttermilk Pancakes (sneaking in those whole grains with no pain)

This morning Daniel and I collaborated to make whole grain pancakes. I hinted that I wanted him to make breakfast, but my super subtle hints (i.e. "what are you making for breakfast", "when are you starting on breakfast") were answered with "what kind of cold cereal would you like from the cupboard?";) So I decided it was easier to try for a collaboration of sorts. So I tried "I make the batter, you cook the pancakes" approach. That worked a little better;)

Anyway, I wanted a hot tasty breakfast that was also somewhat nutritionally sound (and fast since I am still working). I remembered a while ago we made a couple recipes that had oats that were soaked in buttermilk (or the cheap version, aka milk w/vinegar) for 10-15 minutes before cooking. This allows the oats to take on a much smoother texture after cooking/baking. The finished product was a multigrain pancake that was delicious and filling.

Muli-grain buttermilk pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat bran
Several TBS of cornmeal (for crunch!)
1 cup milk (w/1 TBS vinegar)
1 cup yogurt or another cup milk (we used yogurt because we had some to use up)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
2 TBS sugar
4 TBS oil
2 eggs

Soak oats in the milk/yogurt mixture for 10 minutes while mixing all dry ingredients together in another bowl. Add eggs and oil to the milk/oats and mix. Add wet to dry and mix thoroughly. Fry in hot pan or griddle on lightly greased surface. Top with applesauce or other fruit for a tasty nutritous breakfast!

Visit Tammy for more Kitchen Tips!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I have an oatmeal pancake recipe I like but my husband does not like the texture. I am going to have to try soaking the oatmeal for a few minutes first. Thanks for the idea.