Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week In Beans Day 1




We had one of our all-time favorite healthy snacks for part of our dinner on Sunday night: Hummus. I made it without the more expensive ingredients (tahini or sesame oil) this last time and it turned out well, but it is definitely a little better with the above. Here is the recipe we typically use, which is easy, healthy, tastes great and is much less expensive than the store bought version.

Hummus
2 cups garbanzo beans (we use soaked cooked ones, but drained canned ones work too)
1/3 cups tahini or sesame oil( I prefer sesame oil)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
1 TBS olive oil
1 tsp parsley (I use dried just to save $$$)
1 pinch paprika (or more)
(**can add some marinated artichokes or sun dried tomatoes for variety**)

Puree in food processor until smooth. Serve with veggie chunks/sticks, pita wedges, tortilla chips, crackers or even as a sandwich spread.

7 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Your hummus sounds delicious! :) Yum!

I'm posting on beans today, too. :) Aren't they great? :)

Blessings,
Michele
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Rachael said...

Thanks for stopping by Michele! I can't wait to try some more of your recipes!

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

mmmmmmm... never made my own humms but I went to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando and I loved their hummus!! and I buy the traditional hummus with pine nuts at publix!

Veggie said...

I really like your sesame oil idea. I don't add tahini to my homemade stuff because I just never buy it but that sounds great.

Veggie said...

P.S. how much sesame oil do you use?

Rachael said...

Hi Veggie, I use 1/3 cup of sesame oil (or adjust to taste). I have used less frequently though just because its kindof expensive (at least where I get it!)

Veggie said...

Thanks, yeah it's really expensive here too.

I'd love to go to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando that sounds pretty cool, that's the first time I've ever heard of it.