Friday, January 23, 2009

Bread and Soup Meal


Having a sick baby and some unanticipating things happening this week has made my meal plan change rather drastically this week. I had several nights where using my crockpot was a lifesaver, so I needed to change the meal plan to reflect that.

Last night I made soup and bread instead of what I had planned, and it was great! I did about 10 minutes of "dumping" into the crockpot to make a southwest soup (chicken broth, 2 cans of progresso soup from the great sales, home-cooked beans bought in bulk and some frozen corn. It was hot and ready when we arrived home! We topped it with salsa, a little sour cream and crushed chips from the Walgreen's sales this week:)

On the side I served homemade sourdough bread. It didn't rise as much as it was supposed to (could've been that I've neglected my started or something:) but Daniel and I both loved it! Give this recipe a try if you're interested in frugal bread, and have the time to plan ahead (it takes a day or two with rise time). The bread was largely make-ahead, so it fit in with my busy day meal needs nicely.

You can make a soup and bread meal even more cheaply (and quickly!) if you keep a container in the freezer all week and put leftover bits of meat/protein, grains and veggies and then cook those in a crockpot on low with some broth all day. A simple biscuit recipe or cornbread recipe makes the bread cheap and quick. For a family of 4, this meal costs around $2-3 dollars.

And best of all, my little bread snatcher (who is not feeling well this week). She must've enjoyed the sourdough too since she grabbed a couple pieces off the table on her tippy-toes this morning:)




Visit Biblical Womanhood for great frugal tips and grocery cart challenge for recipe ideas!

2 comments:

CC said...

I have yet to successfully make homemade sourdough. Some day...

Sarah said...

Congrats on your sourdough expeditions! I've been experimenting with a few new recipes myself . . . :) I'm still trying to find the perfect soft sandwich bread - that incorporates mostly whole grain/whole wheat! I'm close!

Best,
Sarah