Thursday, March 6, 2008

Caramel Popcorn

Okay so I can't resist. Right after I posted my cinnamon roll recipe, I remembered something that really is a snack, and only a snack (although I am sure my dad, who begs me to make this whenever I see him could eat it for a meal... hi dad!;) It is SO easy and SO tasty and SO unhealthy. So it definitely qualifies for snacks: the unhealthy.

Caramel Popcorn
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 quarts popped popcorn

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Put popcorn in large bowl (very large...or two regular largish bowls works too). Over medium heat in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil w/o stirring for 4 minutes. Take off stove and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour gradually over popcorn, stirring as you go until all popcorn is coated. Place in two large baking dishes or jelly roll pans work as well and place in oven. Cook at 15 minutes at a time, for 1 hour total. After ever 15 minutes, stir well. Let cool before breaking up and placing in sealed container of your choice.

I can't button my jeans just thinking about this stuff.

2 comments:

Shilah said...

This sounds so yummy. I love anything caramel, and I'm addicted to popcorn. I'll have to try this one soon.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good!