Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Making Do in the Kitchen

After dropping off hubby at work yesterday morning (which was after a 3 hour drive from my parents on the other side of the state) I had another hour of driving and wanted COFFEE. And doughnuts. And more coffee. But I being the frugalite that I am, I couldn't bring myself to stop for any. Plus I needed to get home and go to work myself, so I convinced myself that I could get some strong brew going when I got home and could make something that I like just as much as doughnuts--coffee cake.

Upon arriving home, I find that I do not have enough flour to make my beloved treat, and need to do some work so I can just run to the store (nor do i want to!) I remembered that I had a bunch of oatmeal in the pantry (the old fashioned kind) so I thought that maybe, just maybe I could throw some in the food processor and sub that for some of the flour. It worked! I subbed about 1 1/4 cups of ground up oats (it wasn't totally fine like flour because our processor is old;). The consistency was a little different, but still good. So the moral of the story is that you can have your coffeecake (and coffee!) and eat it too;)

Visit Tammy for more kitchen inspiration.

7 comments:

Sonshine said...

Thanks for the tip! I buy OF oatmeal in bulk so I might just have to give it a try in some of my recipes. :)

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

I LOVE when that happens...and it's only been happening since I've started learning how to really cook from scracth and cook frugally.

I'm now getting more comfortable substituting ingredients now that I know the "chemistry" behind the recipes better from so much experimentation! LOL

Miranda said...

Thanks for the tip! I would never have thought to try grinding oats... very creative!

Martha said...

I don't think I would have thought that far - to be able to figure I could use Oatmeal. Good thinking and a good tip for me in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
~Martie

Anonymous said...

You could have made muffins. That doesn't take much flour. I'm glad it turned out for you. It is nice to satisfy a graving.

Sweet Woodruff said...

What a good idea. I would have never thought of that. I'll keep that in mind.

CC said...

Hey Rachael, I need your help with this weeks Safeway deals. I know there is a way to get that General Mills cereal for free. Any tips? ;)