Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What to do with all that cabbage?

I don't know about you, but every year about this time we have an abundance of those tasty, healthy greens called cabbage. Around my part of the NW, its not always this economical ($.39/lb), so when that price comes around we stock up! Here are some recipes that work for me to make the most of that cabbage:

Cabbage Patch Soup

Cabbage Rolls

Here's our personal favorite, which you don't need much of a recipe for:

Skillet Cabbage and Kielbasa
Heat up some canola or olive oil (about 1 TBS) in a fry pan and add one kielbasa type sausage (1/2 inch chunks) and bite sized chunks of cabbage. Stir/cook on medium until kielbasa is heated through and cabbage is crisp tender. Add salt/pepper to taste! We could eat this every week...its fast, reasonably healthy (especially if you use turkey "kielbasa") and inexpensive! Serve with noodles, rice or even rolls to make this meal work for more than 2 people (with leftovers).

3 comments:

Sonshine said...

Yummy recipes! I bought a small head of cabbage this year because I am the only one that really eats it! :) I usually just make some into cole slaw and the rest I just steam for a veggie side. :)

mzzterry said...

Thanks for sharing. I love cabbage.

Anonymous said...

Hi there-I saw this cabbage soup on Food Network the other day from Rachael Ray's 30 minutes meals-it looks good, but haven't tried it yet. She said it makes a HUGE pot and the longer it sets the better it gets-so leftover are yummy. Good luck
Here is the link for the recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_131406,00.html