Friday, March 21, 2008
Moving on the Cheap...your answers to my dilemma!
So last week I asked for your input on how to move across the country as inexpensively as possible. In case there are others who need this info, I thought I would compile your most excellent advice for today's Frugal Friday! It also happens that I had to work an extra day this week, so I don't have a lot of time to think of new frugal ideas tonight;)
Here are your tips for moving frugally:
1. ABF UPack was mentioned as a less expensive alternative to UHaul by Samara and April. It looks like this option would save us up to $500. We also would not be responsible for driving the truck with this option, they show up on your doorstep! You can pay for square footage with this option and April had the great idea to tape off the equivalent square footage in your home (corresponding to the amount of space you want to pay for).
2. Penske: this is also a cheaper option for us than UHaul and the equivalent and was mentioned by readers Sue and Mrs. Byers
3. Moving by Freight Train can also be a cheap option, says Martha, if you don't need to move a lot of furniture.
4. CC says her family found that using a POD or something similar worked well for them and was a less expensive option.
5. Ask friends to see if they know someone who has a truck and wants to go on a trip if you pay for the gas!
6. Have lots of yard sales and move less stuff!
Thank you for all the great suggestions last week...I hope this helps someone else as it will help us soon!